čtvrtek 10. července 2014

Sherea, the Day After

length: 5:08

What did this feisty competitor have to say the day after being ousted from the game? Find out what she learned from her experience now.

Video:


Transcript by James Barber:

"This game strips away everything you think that you need on a day-to-day basis and survive. In Survivor you literally are surviving. I don't think you can be prepared for what you have to go through out there. Nothing could have prepared me for actually building my own shelter, going to catch my own food, going to the bathroom next to a pile of ants. Nothing could have prepared me for it and I don't think anybody except for the people who have gone through it can truly understand what it means to be on Survivor." 

(cut) 

"I got to a point where I was like, I'm here, you've gotta make it, see what you can do. Doesn't matter what you look like, you have to let your guard down. I was eating things that I'd in real life I would never put my fingers on. A snail. Baby snails. I was even eating mussels, and I was eating it like it was the best food I had ever tasted, ever. There were a lot of things I was letting my guard down on literally to survive, because there were moments where I felt like I'm not gonna make it out here without some food in my system. I had to eat and live to survive out there. I was very surprised at myself." 

(cut) 

"I have a better appreciation for things. I'm still the same Sherea, I just learned more about Sherea. I know that I'm way stronger than I even thought I was. I always thought I was a strong person, but I see now that it only takes simple things to make you realize how strong you are as a person. My attitude is still the same, I'm still upbeat, still sarcastic, still full of life, but at the same time...I can appreciate being outside with the bugs for a little while. I can tolerate the humidity a little more now. I'm not as prissy as I was when I came out here." 

(cut) 

"As a teacher, I have more control, and I have people who are actually looking up to me and needing me. In the game of Survivor people don't really need you. They use you to get where they want to go. As a teacher, kids don't even know what using me as a teacher is. They need me to survive in the classroom. In Survivor they don't you, they're trying to get rid of you so they can get themselves further along." 

(cut) 

"It was very difficult of me not to let the teacher and the leader come out of Sherea. I had to walk around with my mouth shut and my ears and eyes open, which is very difficult for me. I held a lot in and I felt like my personality, except for in challenges, kind of slowed down. I didn't feel like myself all the time. I wasn't wanting to talk all time, I didn't have much to say when I was out there. In the challenges, it was like Sherea times ten came out. I don't know, it was very weird for me. I definitely had to step back outside of myself and learn to listen and learn to watch instead of talking all the time." 

(cut) 

"The game of Survivor in relation to teaching fourth graders...it's in relation to life, just dealing with people itself. I had to step back out of myself and not be the teacher while I was on Survivor and just be the student. That was different for me. Still had the same personalities you deal with in children every day. You got the bully, you got the insecure kid, the outspoken child, the busybody child, same thing, just dealing with adults. Totally different. They're actually harder to deal with than children. (laughs)" 

(cut) 

"I did get a lot of strength from knowing I had kids who were going to be watching me on TV and looking up to me. I think that was the majority of the reason I kept going, I didn't want to embarrass myself, and not only that, I didn't want my kids to see me weak. It gave me a lot of strength. I was like, yeah, you gotta keep going, you can't stop." 

(cut) 

"I think that personality-wise, my students, friends and family will say that's how I am in the classroom, but when they see me in the challenges, they're not gonna believe it. They're not gonna believe it. (laughs)" 

(cut) 

"I am very competitive at home, especially at work, it's really weird. We have competitions at my job amongst teachers and I'm always fighting to be the best. I'm fighting for my kids that feel that, to be the best. I know I may not always gonna be #1, but I know for damn sure I'm not gonna be last. It was very surprising for me to get on Survivor and people be like, 'Oh we're scared of you.' Never crossed my mind that I would be a physical threat at all." 

(cut) 

"I think Sherea the survivor and Sherea the teacher, I'm gonna bring so much more...I'm already a hands-on teacher, but I'm gonna bring so much more. I'm already planning Survivor days for my kids in the classroom. I'm gonna bring much more hands-on learning and just different ways of seeing and thinking that I can give my kids a better way and much more fun way of learning. I thought I was already a fun teacher but now I have so many more ideas and things I want my children to experience through me."

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat