neděle 20. července 2014

Denise on the Reward

length: 4:47

Watch as Denise describes her journey to the once in a lifetime Reward at the Shaolin Temple. 

Video:


Transcript by James Barber:

"You know, for the last twenty-something days, we've been here. We go form here, in this little island, we walk to the well, we walk to where the bathroom is, we walk to our swimming hole. This is our life. We have our bed, we haven't been to Zhan Hu, we haven't been anywhere else. We don't even take a boat across the lake. This is where we're staying. Then to get on a reward to travel outside our comfort zone at the moment, to drive through the town, to see different...we saw a tea shop where the guy was outside with a teapot pouring water. Just to see stuff like that was amazing. Then we were up in the plan, to see how big China is, you can look out and see the fields and the buildings. It's amazing. It's incredible. It's so big, and yet we're in this little cramped spot, you know?" 

(cut) 


"There's so much to see and take in in such a short interval of time. You try to look around and take in as much as you can. It's overwhelming." 


(cut) 


"We got to the temple and that was just a whole different experience all in itself. We pulled in and a whole group of people practicing right in the beginning, they were all wearing red shirts. We went a little bit further and there were people on top of the building, practicing flips and cartwheels wearing blue shirts. You go a little bit further and then there's a whole group of people wearing yellow shirts, practicing the drunken bull thing (?). You finally get to the temple and we're walking around with the monks and to see all the stuff that's going on there. The monks themselves, when we went in to see the demonstration, all the monks were sitting all the way around the temple and watching. The grandmaster comes up and you have to do your celebratory thing to the grandmaster. We went and sat down next to the grandmaster and he smiled a little bit. I didn't think he would ever smile, because that's not the type of guy you would think that would happen to, you know?" 


(cut) 


"To be in the presence of any grandmaster of a martial art or any type of...it's like being in front of a king, or being in front of the President. You always have to have respect. You always have to be humble, you always have to smile and nod and have respect. For me, I would have tons of respect for someone like that." 


(cut) 


"To actually see the demonstration, it was fantastic. Each person did the best they...they picked the best guy. One guy would do the sword, one would do the spear, one rubbed himself with his own sheath, and people were hitting him with sticks, they were hitting over his shoulders. One guy he had two iron steel plates and smacked him over his head and they broke in half. The blood was trickling down his face. They had these little kids, they were doing these flips on their heads, they had a guy with chains and he was whipping them around and popping on his butt and whipping them underneath him. These guys were like fantastic. Just to see them, see how much dedication you have to put into it, and to be that good, it's a lifetime achievement for them. One of the guys asked me, I told him I was going for my promotion, I've been nominated for promotion. He said, 'You're an expert,' and I said no, I'm always learning, and he was like (nods), 'Yes, there's always learning.' We had a little connection. He was asking about my stuff and I was asking about his background. The experience, just that moment in time, was worth all the time that I've been here." 


(cut) 


"I think Peih-Gee and Erik have a better understanding of I am, and how, I guess humble the word would be. I don't show off here at camp, I do what's expected, I do what I'm supposed to do. I've been trying to hide that section of me, but I can't help it sometimes, it just comes out. Yeah, I think they definitely got a little bit more appreciation of who I am."

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat